Saturday, 3 May 2014

Change Of School

We have decided to withdraw Emma from Startots. Her last day will be end of May.

A pity, cause Emma seems to be enjoying herself there. And she has picked up quite a bit in the 2 hourly sessions.

We have enrolled her in YMCA instead, though I'm still having some qualms. Her playgroup seems to be more structured in terms of learning (I know she's just 22 months YOUNG!!). From my observation, the children in YMCA toddler group just seem to be playing all the time (Again, I know! Learning through play! Learning through manipulatives! Social interaction!).

When I went down to talk to the principal, I saw that the N2 children were learning their days of the week. It seems that the children only start learning formally at N2. All the craftwork on display are done by the N2 children. If I'm not wrong, they only start learning phonics at N2 too.

In Startots, Emma has already learnt some phonics. She has been doing craftwork regularly too. Granted, not all done by herself, but at least she's given the opportunities to play with paint.

I know I should probably consider some other schools which might have better curriculum, but putting her in YMCA is the most convenient choice right now. The centre is just below my mum's place, and she's going to be the one doing the fetching. I did consider My First Skool, but it's still a distance away (about 1 and a half bus stop), and I don't want to tire my mum out. I know how challenging Emma could be!

Then why pull her out from Startots?

I would be giving birth soon, and my mum definitely cannot cope with two, after my maternity leave is over.

With Emma in childcare, I would be better able to rest during my confinement too.

I've decided that from June (when she'll be entering her new school) till December, I'll be bringing her back home after her lunch in the childcare. Some days (especially during my maternity leave and holiday), I may not even bring her to school so we could go for outings together.

Next year, when I'm fully back in the workforce, then she'll start taking her afternoon nap in the childcare. I'll still bring her back anytime I'm done in school.

As for the curriculum (or lack of), I guess I'll just have to fork out extra money for some enrichment lessons. And I'll also have to do some guiding with her at home.

Oh, well...

No comments:

Post a Comment